Sunday, September 16, 2007

OK, all the good details!

I've been trying to make the blog more "pink" looking, but it isn't working well since I have no clue as to what I'm doing. So I better stick to the story.

I'll back WAY up and do my usual babbling. We stayed home over Labor Day and packed. It wasn't an overly exciting weekend but we did get a lot done. On Wednesday the 5th we had help from lots of neighbors and moved all our furniture. We blew up the air mattress but by Thursday morning my butt was on the floor. Obviously I didn't blow it up enough! Or the other obvious butt is too big. Rob had slept on the floor beside the air mattress so I can't even blame him. Thursday night he decided I had enough air in it that he'd try it. That worked until the middle of the night when he'd roll over and roll off the mattress. So he just rolled all the way off and slept on the floor again. We moved the rest of the stuff on Friday. Rob had guards that night, Saturday and Sunday, so my parents came and helped. My dad did handy man projects for me and my mom unpacked boxes while I moved them to the new house. Rob and some other guardsmen helped move boxes over lunch and when they had a break. We didn't get everything moved that weekend but we've slowly been at it. I'm really quite tired of moving and could easily just leave everything else over there. I won't because I'm cheap and then I'd have to pay for something twice but it has crossed my mind!

I got the FBI prints back on Monday. The same day I got another hepatitis shot. I don't know which one. Q I think. I've had so many. They went to the state and back and then on Thursday I FedEx'ed them to Luann in Minneapolis. I left her a message and remembered that she was in Colombia. I just told her to call me and tell me she got the package.

I didn't have a great week last week. I was wrestling with some demons that really got me down. Scratch that. Just one demon. I really struggled with some decisions that I have had to make and still don't know what will happen. Wednesday night I went to the old house and sat and bawled. Thursday night I went to the old house and sat and bawled. Rob walked in and thought something was terribly wrong. Part of me is really struggling with leaving the old house because I feel like we're leaving Bob there. I know that isn't true, but it hasn't helped. Plus the OTHER issue has me so frustrated. This week was homecoming and Wednesday was "Pride Day" where the kids and local volunteers helped spruce up the community. I helped paint the fairgrounds. I'm not sure what I was smoking when I got dressed that morning but I put on my good jeans (the only ones that fit) and my nice jacket from school. Hello! You're painting! I know...not very bright. Rob's cousin Morghan was chosen as Homecoming Queen so that was pretty exciting. I had to work at an ethanol promotion day on Friday out of town and Friday was also the parade. So as I ran around like a basketcase that morning trying to get everything ready, the dam broke. The parade theme was "movies" so our float was "Field of Dreams". We used Rob's pickup and put corn stalks in the back and threw candy. I needed my flower pots from the loads of boxes that were stored in the garage. I was carrying a load that might have been too big and I tripped on a box and dropped the pots and cut my hands on the broken glass. As I said, the dam broke and I bawled and bawled and bawled. It wasn't the broken pot (it was a really nice pot, though) or the blood all over my hands. It was the aforementioned demon that reared it's ugly head. If I say what the demon is the demon will get worse so I can't say it out loud. I'll telepathically tell you though! In the end the ethanol promotion and the parade went fine. I had this wedding rehearsal on Friday night and then I got up early to go practice on Saturday morning. Rob and I went back to the other house then to shampoo carpets. Oh, first I should say that I tried the new coffee shop in town and I'm going to have to limit myself to once a week. So anyway...I had to get home and get ready so I left Rob at the old house about 3:25. There was a voice mail from Luann, which I didn't think was odd because I had told her to call me. She said she did have a package but what she was really calling was to tell us Congratulations on our new little girl! By this time, I'm running late so I'm taking clothes off while trying to listen. That stopped me in my tracks. So I called Rob's cell phone so he could come home and I think he was shampooing carpets and couldn't hear. So I was simultaneously listening and dialing. Luann said to call her so I did and she said that she had gotten to hold the baby and that she was very small and dainty and very beautiful. She has a mild medical concern that we will review with the doctor on Monday but we really aren't worried about it. I knew I had to get in the shower and get ready but it KILLED me not to check my email. I knew the referral was there but I knew it could wait and the wedding wasn't going to. So I hurriedly got ready and read through it. Rob got home just as I was leaving and he converted her weight and length and did some research on her medical records. After the wedding, I stayed at the reception for a while then called Rob. He said his sister was at her parents house so we could tell them together. It was 7:00. So I left the church and immediately started calling my parents. No answer. I had a little pattern going on...home phone, cabin phone, his cell phone, her cell phone, home phone, cabin phone... I couldn't believe it. Nothing. Until 9:45. My poor little cell phone didn't know what hit it. It was definitely overworked that night. By the time we got to his parents' house Christy was gone so we just told them. Rob went to poker night and I continued trying to call my parents. In the meantime, I went to the wedding dance and asked Christy if she wanted to go with me to get a drink. We walked to the bar and I got two real girly shots and said "Here's to your new niece". She said "what?" so I said it again. I had to say it three times because she didn't get it! Then she started to bawl which made me tear up. Rob was still at poker. So then I kept trying to call my parents. When I finally got a hold of them, I knew I wouldn't have much time before everyone went to bed. So after I told them the news I called my brothers, nieces, and two of my aunts. And my best friends. I knew I couldn't stay out too late since I had to play for church so I came home about 11:00 something. I don't know what time Rob came home. It could have been five minutes after I got home and I wouldn't have known because I was already sleeping. I went to sleep fine and slept all night. Until 6:00. And then I was wide awake. I couldn't think of anything else. So it was an early morning for me. After church we went for breakfast with Rob's family and then we went to Aberdeen for some stuff for the old house. Like ceiling tiles since I let the bathroom sink drip for Kramer and she pushed the stopper thing in the drain and it flooded the bathroom and ruined the ceiling tiles. And also the drain extender that was somehow ran over when we were moving. I didn't know it was right in front of me until I ran over it. Oops. So since we were there we HAD to get some girly stuff. Pink is a little overwhelming for Rob so I got yellow paint for the baby's room. I don't know why...I still call her "the baby". I guess because I'm not used to saying anything else. I haven't called her "Murphy" yet unless someone has asked me her name. Rob got a shirt that says "My dad's the coolest". It's really cute except for the smallest they had was a 12 month. He tried to get one in every size so she'd never grow out of it but I wouldn't let him. We came home and went to work on boxes. Our goal is to get through every box we have. Even the ones we haven't unpacked for years and years. So far we have for sale: a small window air conditioner and four bar stools. Plus about three boxes of stuff for the Good Samaritan Center.

I don't know when we'll leave. Maybe the 8th. Hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow.

I'm worn out and the Chargers are playing horribly. So I think it's time for bed. So that's the story. I'm sure I've forgotten something so I'll post again when I read through all of this.

Have a great week!!!


Anonymous said...

Rob and Dana

Anonymous said...

Rob and Dana -
Congratulations again!!!
She is beautiful!!! I hope everything goes well and quickly from here on. Like I said Dana, if you need anything for Murphy, let me know. I usually will have at least one of everything, and sometimes more. Please let me know if there is anything you don't have.

Anonymous said...

......I quess I will continue what I said above since my computer will not cooperate with me. Congratulations again to the new Mommy and Daddy.


Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for months (silently). We were signed on with LSS for Colombia and ended up switching out in the middle of the summer due to concern over delays. We are now doing domestic and waiting for the call! I am so happy this happened for you so quickly!!! She is beautiful.
Lara from PA

Carlynn said...

What a sweetie pie she is! That's so cool that you have a photo and a real live baby waiting for you, it must feel amazing.

Columbia is one of the countries I would like to adopt from, if we go down that route, and I love reading stories of couples adopting from there. Hope things go as smoothly as possible.

Anonymous said...

Dana & Rob

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful.

Kris Rittel

Anonymous said...

Rob & Dana -
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats! I'm so excited for you. She is so beautiful, what a great addition to a great family.
Amy Hoffman