Monday, September 26, 2011

On our way to Jack!

Who knew a four year old would wake up at 4:45 a.m. and not stop talking the entire day? I guess we should have! Rob and I got up at 3:45 and finished packing and after getting everything in the pickup, we woke up Murphy, who slept in her clothes, and were out the door. I don't know what she was dreaming about because she literally woke up talking and wide awake and just kept right on going. We got to Aberdeen around 5:35 a.m. and were reminded why we fly out of Watertown. There is a girl in her twenties that was snotty to everyone should could possibly find. We tried to check in via the little kiosk and Murphy was in an exit row seat and it said we had to see a customer service agent. So by the time we got to the front of the line, it was close to 6:00 and she ripped us apart for not having checked in earlier. She couldn't get Murphy's seat changed so she finally just sent us through security. And then told us that our bags were checked in late so they might not make it to Colombia. Then yelled at the lady behind us and said that if we hadn't been so late, she wouldn't have let her on the plane since she was so late. We had two bags that were over weight and the cost went up just a little in the last four years. It was $50 then but $90 now. Oh well. We finally made it on the plane and Murphy and I were way up front and Rob was way in the back. Fortunately the flight to Aberdeen went really well. I was afraid it would be bumpy and we would need to drag Murphy on the next two. That didn't happen until the third flight! We had a couple of hours in Minneapolis and she and Rob played with her babies. The next flight to Atlanta went pretty good, too. She got a little sick during both landings but never threw up. Just said she didn't feel good. Once we got to Atlanta, we each found something to eat and exchanged a little bit of money. And all of the sudden it was time to go! So we found our seats, the second row from the back, and settled in for a five hour flight. Luckily they had movies! And food! Murphy watched Rio and I watched Bridesmaids. I have to say, it didn't do a whole lot for me. Rob was the unlucky one of the group because the connection to his headphones didn't work and neither of us was giving up our spot. They served supper and we were getting close to Bogota when the captain said "flight attendants take your seats". I didn't think we were close enough to land and all of the sudden the whole plane dropped. The flight attendant behind us, who didn't have time to take his seat, fell in the aisle and things went flying. I tell you...I was scared to death. I've never been on a flight where that happened and I hope to never be on one again. The captain came back on and said "Folks, as you noticed we went through a little bit of turbulence!". Really? We got in at 8:44 p.m. so it was dark when we got here. We got off the plane a little ways away from the airport and then took a little bus to the airport. We made it through customs OK, but were a little freaked out when they asked to see Murphy's Colombian passport and then needed to go talk to a supervisor for quite a while. We were afraid he was going to take it! Luckily he brought it back and stamped it, not the American one, and we were on our way to get our bags...all six of them. Twelve if you count carry-on's and backpacks. After taking the little bus ride, we got into the airport at 9:10 and were out the door at 10:10 and there was a little sign right in front that said "Lewis family" so we pointed at him and he came around to meet us. His name was Viron (like Byron) and he was very nice. He had to go get the van and I think it was a ways away because it took him forever to come back. He studied at the British Colombian High School in Bogota so his English was very good. Murphy finally fell asleep in the van but it didn't take us too long to get to the motel. We were here around 10:45 and put a few things away before we are all going to bed. We are all exhausted! For all of us, but especially Murphy, the whole idea of "Jack" has been so surreal and now it is all becoming an actuality. I don't think Murphy actually understood anything of what was happening before we left. She is such a pretender that I think she thought it was just another story she played with her babies. So we still don't know when we are meeting might be tomorrow and it might be Wednesday. We'll find out tomorrow! 

Leaving the grumpy airport lady behind in Aberdeen! 

No grumpiness here! 

One of the few quiet moments on the trip. 

Taking care of her babies in the Minneapolis airport. 

It gave me butterflies! 

She watched Rio on the plane. 

On the bus that takes you from the airplane to the airport. Lots of stuff to carry! 

No comments: